Monday, August 3, 2009

"What do you mean...'crunchy'?"

I use the term all of the time to describe someone who is very, ya know, "granola", or somewhat of a tree hugging  Birkenstock wearer.  Apparently, it's not a very well know way of expressing  it because several of my friends have asked, "what do you mean, 'crunchy'?"  So I thought I'd explain myself better.  You'll never catch me letting my hair color and style grow out naturally and I don't do prairie skirts.  But, I'm kinda crunchy, more like the chewy type of granola bar.   If I can recycle something into my town recycling program, I will.  But I still forget to bring my reusable bags to the grocery store. I compost all of our household produce waste, but have very few plants to use it on.   I buy most of my groceries at Walmart, but look for organics.  Are you getting my drift?  I want to do more for the environment and for my family's health, and in fact, I am doing more than I was last year.  These small simple changes will affect the environment and my family's health for the better, but there is a deeper reason and motivation.  There is a spiritual development when you care for others; when you take care of what you have and practice good stewardship and moderation.  I have a tendency toward consumerism and consumption, but I want to grow in consciousness, thoughtfulness and contentment.  Little by little I am changing, so, I'm crunchier...but still wear lipgloss.

1 comment: