Thursday, September 10, 2009

"You've Got Nails"



In high school ('83-'87) I drank Knox for Nails gelatin to make my nails grow.  In college, I experimented with Lee Press-On Nails.  I remember waking up with them stuck in my hair instead of on my nails.  As a young professional, I tried the DIY acrylic gel sets and ended up with weird cement lumps permanently adhered to my nails.  I have always admired pretty, manicured nails, but I guess I've never been willing to pay for them, so I have learned to accept my flat, thin, short, manly nails.  Last Christmas we went skiing and my boots were too small (I told the guy they felt small and he said I would want them snug, so I went with it.  What do I know?)  By the end of the first day, my big toes felt bruised so I got the bigger boots - duh.  A week later, my toe nails were black and blue.  A month later, they fell off!  Gross!!!  I did what I always do when I have a medical or other important question; I googled it - "toe nail falling off".  I learned that if I put fake nails on over the new growth, it would help guide the new nail so it wouldn't come in funky, crooked or bumpy.  I fully intended on going to a real salon and having real acrylic nails put on my big toes, but then, I saw it at Target - glue on toe nails!  I thought I should give it a try.  What did I have to loose, another nail?  So I picked out the right sizes for both of my big toes and glued them on and painted them to match my other toes.  Yay!  They looked so good, and stayed on over 7 days; I even wore them in the pool.  My toe nails have grown back perfectly now, in case you're wondering.  So I say all of this to say - You can imagine how excited I was to get an email from Revlon asking if I'd like to try their new "Runway Collection" of glue on nails,  and review them on my blog!  This excites me on so many levels,  first of which is they were free!   Secondly, someone actually found my blog!  Thirdly, they are DIY and very inexpensive!  Fourthly (?), they are gorgeous and go very well with my "lipgloss side".  I put on my first set last night and for my first attempt, they look pretty good.  I've got nails!  I did however glue my fingers together several times over the course of 10 nails.   If you look closely, you can see some air pockets where I either didn't press hard enough or didn't get enough glue.   I still need to see how difficult it is to get them off, and how much damage the glue does to my real nail.  But for now... I like them, except when trying to text (I think I'll file down the thumbs).
Update!!! - I've now tried taking them off and have on my second set.  Everywhere I go, I get compliments so I have to say, I love them.  My second attempt was much more successful considering I didn't glue my fingers together this time.  I also filed down a couple of the nails prior to gluing them on so I got a better, more custom fit.  A friend from high school, who uses these regularly gave me a tip on getting them off too.  She leaves them on until they start falling off on their own, which makes the soaking time shorter, and the temptation to pry them off lesser.

1 comment:

  1. I use my nails when I text! I am so lost when I don't have them, its like I forget how to type. LOL. Very cool on the Revlon discovering your blog, its just a small step to something bigger perhaps?

    ReplyDelete