Wednesday, September 2, 2009

If You're Happy and You Know It...Save The Earth!

Free things make me happy!  Last year, the city of Plano rolled out an experimental recycling program with RecycleBank.com. Our recycling bins were fitted with a UPC type label so all of my recycling efforts could be recorded and rewarded.   Our neighborhood pick up area is grouped together and we are rewarded with points based on the total weight of our recycled trash.  The program also sent out a detailed list of acceptable items, including plastics #'s 1-7!  I taped the list to our "in-home" bin and explained to the kids what should go in.  About every month I get an email from RecycleBank letting me know I have points, then I go "shopping".  It doesn't take much for me to get excited, so my monthly coupon for a free hand soap or salad dressing is all it takes to keep me going.  Between the beefed up recycling and our compost bin, I am amazed at how much trash I am NOT making.  Check it out for your neighborhood!

1 comment:

  1. Oh how I wish Tucson was as cool as Plano--recycling-wise.

    ReplyDelete